While there are many people who are looking for service providers of asbestos removal in Inner West, it is obvious that many of them are not actually aware of what the process is, especially the hazards that it entail. The goal of this article is to quickly provide insights about asbestos and its removal, which will surely help many understand why there is a need to be extra careful when looking for the providers of such service or why it is a task that should never be done in one’s own.
1. Asbestos is a Greek word that means “inextinguishable” in English. Its popularity started in the 1940s where it has been rampantly used in house construction, basically because of being fire-retardant and economical. It is commonly used for thermal and acoustic insulation, roofing, flooring, and siding, among others.
2. The presence of asbestos in your household is not necessarily dangerous. It only becomes dangerous once its presence is disrupted, such as in case of demolition. For instance, if vinyl flooring with asbestos content is destructed, the fibres can cause potential hazards to those who will be exposed with such, especially in the absence of following the guidelines that have been set by the Australian government, which should be mandatorily followed by asbestos abatement companies.
3. Asbestos becomes dangerous when it is friable. The latter simply means that it can be crumbled by hand, and hence, the fibres can be released in the air.
4. Asbestos fibres will remain in the human body. This is basically the reason on why it is asserted to be hazardous and why meticulous care should be observed in its removal. While there are toxins that can be easily flushed by the body, such as through sweating, this will not be the case with asbestos. Once it is ingested or inhaled, it remains inside the body. Regardless of how much you cough or with whatever cleansing diet may be considered, the fibres will not be removed from the system.
5. Asbestos is carcinogen, which makes it able to lead into various diseases. The most common disease that is experienced by people who work for asbestos removal contractors or those who get in contact with such is pleural plaque. Although this is not pre-cancerous, it is asserted to be a factor that increases the likelihood of having asbestosis or mesothelioma.
6. The most serious health condition that can be possibly experienced from asbestos exposure is known as mesothelioma. The latter is a rare form of cancer. The main target of the disease is the mesothelium that is found surrounding the lungs. It leads into the formation of a tumour and can easily spread throughout the body. Although it is operable during its early stage, the problem is that it is often not diagnosed during such time. Its development may not be easily noticed.
7. Asbestos can also be mined, which is popular in areas like Greece, South America, Cyprus, India, Russia, and Italy, among others. Many of these countries are under fire as they are being scrutinized for the continuous use of asbestos in many building materials in spite of the danger associated with such.
8. To operate asbestos abatement company in Inner West, or in other parts of Sydney, there are legal requirements that will prove to be necessary. Appropriate licenses should be applied from relevant authorities, which will prove the legitimacy of the contractor to operate.
9. The toxicity of asbestos is not something that has just been discovered recently. Even during the time of the Industrial Revolution, the hazards were also known. Yet, its use has continued, even in spite of warning from relevant authorities.
10. While the nature of asbestos is already hazardous, there are other things that can make it even more dangerous, such as if one is not healthy or if one is smoking. This will also be aggravated by the frequency of exposure.